Parrot Online Mall

Saturday, June 29, 2013

I am a christian and i will never bow to any idol – Deji of Akure

The Deji of Akure kingdom, Oba Adebiyi Adesida, on Wednesday said the fact that he had been actively involved in the celebration of the traditional festivals of the town did not affect his faith as a Christian.
The monarch stated this in his palace during the Ikunle Olokun festival, which is one of the 26 traditional festivals celebrated in Akure.
He said, “Ikunle Olokun is an annual traditional festival observed by the Akure people, where all the
traditional chiefs would appraise the events of a whole year and pray for peace and tranquility in the kingdom.
“We will then distribute the akara Olokun (bean cakes) to important personalities, like top political office holders, senior government officials, and industrialists within and outside the kingdom.
“I will then break colanuts, distribute it among my chiefs and offer prayers for all my subjects using the name of God almighty.
“We pray to God, not to idols. I am a Christian and I will never bow to any idol. I have never worshiped any idol since I became the Oba and Akure has remained peaceful because I pray only to the living God.”
Oba Adesida, however, said civilisation or Christianity did not stop a monarch from celebrating the traditional festival of his community “because it is the best way to preserve culture and tradition.”

Source: Nigeria Camera


No comments:

Post a Comment