Parrot Online Mall

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Bolt beaten by Gatlin in Rome

Triple Olympic champion Usain Bolt was beaten by Justin Gatlin in the 100m in the Rome Diamond League.
Bolt clocked a time of 9.95-seconds, but it was not enough to stop former Olympic champion Gatlin from winning as the American - who in 2006 served a ban for testing positive for drugs - out-ran him with a time of 9.94-seconds to take a fifth victory of the campaign.

"Bolt is a great competitor and a great champion," Gatlin said after he inflicted a first 100m defeat of the season on Bolt.
"To come out here and have a victory, it just stamps that I'm having a good season… You can never count out Usain."
Bolt said after the race: "I got the perfect start but stumbled after five metres. It's just one of those things. I guess I need to be stronger at the end of the race. I think it just needs some time to get it all back together."
Britain's Phillips Idowu finished seventh in the triple jump, with Olympic and World Champion Christian Taylor taking the win.
Shara Proctor placed third in the women's long jump, and Hannah England came home in fourth in the 1500m. Yenew Alamirew won the 5000m, and World Champion in the 400m hurdles Dai Greene finished fifth on the night on his Rome outing.
"It gives you a really good indication of where you are at when you race the big guys and that just reinforces where I thought I was. There's plenty of time to get the speed back," Greene, who underwent a double hernia operation in March, said.
"Going over the last two barriers I was quite fatigued - that's where the speed endurance really tells. That's the stuff I've really missed."

No comments:

Post a Comment